Grand Isle is continuing to work and clear roadways. With the progress that has been made, we will be moving into the next phase of recovery. Our residents and property owners will be allowed to come in, assess damages, grab personal belongings, and secure your property as much as possible on Friday, September 3 from 7am to 7pm and Saturday, September 4 from 7am to 7pm. This is not the time to attempt major renovations.
The island is still without electricity, gas, and water (septic and emergency response capabilities). The conditions on the island are NOT appropriate for anyone to stay on the island. This phase of recovery is a temporary slow down of debris removal to allow for people to have access to the island. After the two days on the island, we are asking everyone to leave and clear the roadways for our crews to continue our progress getting the island cleared and getting our infrastructure restored.
RESIDENTS AND PROPERTY OWNERS ONLY. Must have proof of residency or ownership. Each property is limited to one vehicle. Remember, we will have a lot of people coming to check on their property and secure their assets and homes. Please carpool as much as possible. NO TRAILERS. NO GOLF CARTS or UTVs. We need to keep the roads free from as much traffic as possible. If you do not HAVE to be on the island, please do not come and flood the roadways with unnecessary traffic. Our goal moving into this next phase is to get people in and straight to their properties. This is not a time to sight see or ride around the island.
There is a curfew in place from 7pm to 7am. Everyone must be off of the roads by 7pm and will not be allowed back on the road until 7am.
THE ISLAND IS NOT IN ANY CONDITION TO PROVIDE ADEQUATE SERVICES TO THE COMMUNITY. IF YOU CHOOSE TO COME TO THE ISLAND, YOU ARE COMING AT YOUR OWN RISK!
*** THINGS TO BE PREPARED FOR COMING ONTO THE ISLAND:
• Encouraged to come by truck or suv with 4wd capabilities. There are large mounds of sand that can be soft in some areas. We do not have the time or resources to put into pulling people out of areas.
• Supplies will NOT be provided on the island. Come prepared.
◦ We have NO GAS on the island. Bring enough fuel to get you on and off the island.
◦ We have NO WATER on the island. As a result, we have no means to assist with fire emergencies nor do we have septic to provide restroom accommodations.
• We have limited EMS capabilities and 911 services are limited. We removed all of our ambulance vehicles off the island in order to save them from the storm and they are currently still off the island.
• There is still much debris all over the island. broken glass, wood with sharp nails, and dangerous metals still buried beneath the sand. Bring a spare tire. Bring supplies to fix a punctured tire. Portable compressors and tire plugs. There are no services for you on the island to fix in the instance of a breakdown. So be prepared in case of vehicle issues.
• We are not providing meals to individuals so bring your own food and water. We will have some resources at the Multiplex Center, but do not rely on it for your basic necessities.
• IT IS EXTREMELY HOT during the day. With no electricity, we are asking you to hydrate appropriately and be mindful of the weather conditions. REMEMBER medical emergency services are VERY limited. You are coming at your own risk.
• NO GOLF CARTS or UTVs riding around. THIS IS NOT THE TIME FOR YOU TO RIDE AROUND AND SITE SEE.
OUR GOAL with this next step is to have people come in to assess damages, grab personal belongings, make temporary repairs and leave the island as quickly as possible to allow for the crews to continue their progress as quickly as possible to restore our fragile infrastructure.
Once we have electricity and running water, that will be the time for the next phase of major repairs. We appreciate your cooperation and patience. We are in this together. #GrandIsleStrong